The defining difference between that of a Reputable Breeder and a “kitten producer” is the concern and the responsibility the person shows towards his/her breed, breeding program, fellow breeders, and his/her individual charges; cats/kittens and purchasers thereof.
The 10 Commandments of the Reputable Breeder
- The Reputable Breeder places cats/kittens by contract.
- The Reputable Breeder places cats/kittens with a health guarantee.
- The Reputable Breeder insists and contracts the return of a cat/kitten should the purchaser be unable to keep the cat/kitten. If they are unable to take the cat or kitten themselves, they will assist in the rehoming of said cat or kitten.
- The Reputable Breeder carefully interviews prospective owners and has specific requirements to be met, ie; cat/kitten is to be altered if the breeder is not already practicing early altering, not encouraged to allow cats to roam outdoors, etc.
- The Reputable Breeder is willing and able to educate the novice. He/she happily answers questions regarding the breed and his/her breeding program.
- The Reputable Breeder insists on being informed of health, genetic, or behavioral problems the cat/kitten may develop.
- The Reputable Breeder does not have more cats/kittens then he/she is able to keep clean, healthy and well socialized.
- The Reputable Breeder spends individual time with each of his cats/kittens
- The Reputable Breeder is concerned with the temperament of his/her cats/kittens as well as health.
- The Reputable Breeder makes him/herself available for advice and help to other breeders, and throughout the life of the cats/kittens he/she has placed.
The Reputable Breeder spends large amounts of time and money on that which he/she believes to be in the best interest of the breed, the cats and those directly and indirectly affected by his/her actions.
The Reputable Breeder sees his/her breeding program as an unfinished work, a creative masterpiece that drives him/her toward excellence and purrfection, whereas the “kitten producer” is motivated by profit.
While the “kitten producer” is happy to sell any quantity to whomever; dealers, brokers…the reputable breeder insists on individual contact with each prospective owner and will only place a kitten after careful and thorough screening. Direct contact is necessary to ensure mutual compatibility between the would be purchaser, the cat/kitten and the breeder. Because of great concern on the part of the reputable breeder, he/she will help the novice purchaser select the cat/kitten that is compatible with the buyer’s lifestyle, personality and expectations, even if it means talking them out of a cat/kitten. Screening is necessary to ensure a successful placement and this is foremost with the reputable breeder.
The Reputable Breeder is concerned with pedigrees and the breed standard is of utmost importance to his goal for excellence and the betterment of the breed. Because of the goal of betterment, NEVER would this breeder think to breed without knowing pedigrees or without holding the papers qualifying the dam and sire as breeder quality. A reputable breeder will own the right to breed, the papers proving such, and will have the pedigrees of his/her cats. This breeder is willing and able to educate, be educated, has a willingness to answer questions correctly and cares about the concerns of potential new owners. He/she will allow visits to see the dam and if available the sire, and the kittens in their environment when feasibly safe to do so.
The Reputable Breeder insists on contracts and requires cats/kittens be returned to him/her if for any reason the purchaser is unable to keep the pet. If they are unable to take the cat or kitten themselves, they will assist in the rehoming of said cat or kitten
This breeder shows responsibility to the breed, and the cats/kittens they have created. Health records, pedigrees and care information are a source of great pride to the breeder that is reputable as well as a sanitary, clean, healthy and happy environment.
The Reputable Breeder is excited at the prospect of furthering his/her education through breed clubs, cat shows, seminars and will take advantage of available resources. This reputable breeder tends to live around their cats/kittens. Opportunities to participate in activities with other reputable breeders ensuring them that their breeding program compares to others within their breed group is looked upon favorably by the reputable breeder.
The Reputable Breeder realistically understands sometimes things go wrong, but maintains a responsibility to the situation, if within his power, does what’s necessary to rectify a problem fairly. The reputable breeder does not abandon a situation.
Bengals illustrated recommends that you thoroughly discuss all issues pertinent to acquiring a new cat or kitten prior to making a final decision. Be sure to check the FAQ!